Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Should I get my 3 year old male dog neutered I really don

Should I get my 3 year old male dog neutered? I really don't want to unless it will ensure the probability of him being healthier. What is the probability that an unaltered male will develop testicular cancer?
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In the female dog there are very good health reasons for neutering such as a sparing effect from breast cancer and the elimination of the possibility of womb disease. By contrast in the male dog there is very low correlation between neutering and your dog's long term health. While testicular cancer is possible it is quite rare and if picked up early there is a good chance that it will be cured by castration at that point anyway.

The main reason for neutering a male dog is to reduce unacceptable sexual behaviour such as trying to mount other dogs or running away after bitches in heat. So if your dog is not showing any such behaviour I would not have him neutered. Many of my clients had un-neutered male dogs which were very well behaved and so I could not see any reason for suggesting surgery for them and putting them through an ordeal needlessly.

I guess it is just common sense, if he acts like a gentleman why put him through it ?

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS