Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

my 6 lb yorkie is always panting.. She seems to be over heated

my 6 lb yorkie is always panting.. She seems to be over heated all the time. We do not live in a warm climate.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

For how long has your dog been doing this?
How is her appetite?
How is her hair coat?
Does she show signs of excessive thirst?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has been doing this for a few years, at least three.She is 7 yrs old.
Her appetite is good .She loves food.She is a little overweight.
Her coat seems fine .. She has lots of fur, curly and fluffy
I don't think so.. She has a full bowl of water in the morning and I would say she has drunk 1/6 of it.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
Panting is usually caused by either excessive heat, anxiety or pain. Also, dogs with a hormonal disease called Cushing's disease can have excessive panting. If you feel that your dog is definitely not having problems with heat (which would be obvious), and this excessive panting has been going on for awhile, then you should visit the vet for a physical examination. The vet can look to see if your dog is experiencing pain that can explain this sign, and can check for signs of Cushing's disease, and run necessary blood tests if necessary to determine if Cushing's is the problem. If all looks okay, then the panting is assumed to be caused by anxiety. Some dogs with anxiety problems can be helped with medication, and with behavior modification techniques, once the source of the anxiety is pinpointed.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K