Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 8 year old schnauzer now has black spots on his back, stomach,

My 8 year old schnauzer now has black spots on his back, stomach, and neck. These were not there 6 months ago. Some spots are about a 1/4 inch wide. No hair loss, though. No itching in the areas.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Any redness on the skin?
Does your schnauzer appear overweight or have a pot belly appearance?
Any history of allergies?
Does your pet lick or chew the feet at all?
Are any of the black spots raised on the skin?
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is no redness. I just checked him and did notice that some of the spots on his stomach and under his arm are a brownish color and not black. When I first notice the spots a week ago the ones on his back seemed black.

He is not significantly overweight. You can still see his waist and feel his ribs. No pot belly.

He doesn't lick his feet but he does lick around his tail. Some years ago the vet told me that licking was because of an allergy. I should also tell you that he has a dry flaky skin on his back that I was told was a skin problem that many schnauzers are prone to have.

None of the spots are raised on the skin.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Okay.
Well, there are a few things to consider.
Schnauzers cannot only get a seborrheic skin condition, but the breed is predisposed to comedones.
Schnauzer comedo syndrome – believed to be an inherited disorder that causes numerous comedones in the skin of the back of certain schnauzers.
However, there are some other things we need to keep in mind.
Hypothyroidism results when the thyroid gland does not function adequately. Skin changes are very common.
Melanoma is a tumor arising from melanocytes, which are the cells that produce pigment. There are benign and malignant variants, both of which must be considered, especially, for the breed.

So, I would start with having all of these areas evaluated by a veterinarian. No different, then a general screening performed by a person's dermatologist.
A blood test for an overall health assessment and to check the thyroid level would be a really good idea as well.
Depending upon the apperance of some of the spots, espeically the larger ones, a small skin biopsy may be indicated.

Either way, in the meantime, I would definitely encourage you to start giving essential fatty acids. Wonderful for the skin.
Your vet should carry a good product, or over the internet you can find Aller G3, EFA-z, or Derm caps.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

To the Expert:

I do not understand the concept of the deposit plus the matching 10%. I agreed to pay $9 initially. Is this in addition to the $9?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I don't either. The website shows me a payment of $9. Certainly, if you wish to leave an additional bonus, that's one thing. I am not familiar with the 10%. I would inquire with customer service. They are very helpful and prompt.

Do not hit accept again.