Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate, caring and practical. 20 yrs of private practice experience.
16064897

My sisters dog has a very tender nose and will not let you

My sisters dog has a very tender nose and will not let you touch it. She is 12 years old and usually quiet active but now just lays around and is not eating well. She is a Dashund. She sometimes has a light bloody discharge from her nose and will twitch her head to the right side. Her veterinarian can not find anything wrong and has put her on antibiotics for ten days. Any ideas on what to test for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor GF replied 5 years ago.
Hello keekee,
Is the nose discolored?
Is it black or pink?
Has any blood work been done?
What part of the country does your sister live in?
Dr. GF
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nose is not discolored, it is black, extensive blood work done with negitive results. It has been suggested that the dogs be taken to Texas A&M to be scoped. We live in Montgomery Texas on Lake Conroe.
Expert:  Doctor GF replied 5 years ago.
If the nose is sensitive to the touch and has the bloody discharge then the worry is obviously that something is in there. If she is turning/twitching her head to the right side then there could be some nerves involved, possibly even brain. If I had that presentation, I would be recommending a CT or scope as well. I think the CT can give you much more informnation about all of the structures involved. With a scope, you are looking at the inside of the nasal cavity and still could miss something. The CT has much less chance of that happening. Ask your vet if there is a place around that does CT's for pets. I know there is a group of vteerinary specialist in Houston called Greater Houston Veterinary Specialists. They may have access to CT or be able to do the scope. I'm not sure which would be closer....the vet school or them. I hope that helps.

If this has been helpful to you then please click the green accept button so that I may be credited for my time. If you have follow-up questions then click the reply button. As always, a thorough hands-on exam by a veterinarian is recommended. I am only providing you with my opinion based on the information you have provided. Legally, I can not prescribe federally regulated medications or diagnose your pet’s condition without an examination. All feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate, caring and practical. 20 yrs of private practice experience.