Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

dog has red inflamed ear

dog has red inflamed ear
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

If your dog's ear is red and irritated then this is likely to mean ear disease deep down in your dog's actual ear canal. The general name for this is Otitis Externa, you may also see some degree of ear discharge, and there may be a smell.

This a common situation in the dog and is a very wide ranging subject to answer concisely but I will tell you what I know about it, all small animal vets will have seen so many of these cases by the way.

The possible causes of otitis externa in the dog would be the following :

1. Bacterial infection
2. Fungal infection
3. Ear mites
4. Foreign objects in the ear canal
5. Polyps and tumours in the ear canal.
6. Allergic ear / skin disease.

As a first approach what us vets do is have a good look deep down the ear canal with our otoscope and then decide which is the most likely of the above conditions and prescribe some meds such as antibiotics usually in the form of drops. Usually we are lucky and hit the target the first time, then if no joy we try a second time with a different drop.

If the first line approach fails the disease may become chronic and my approach then would then be :

I would send samples from the infected ear to an outside laboratory and have culture and sensitivity carried out. The objective here is to identify the precise cause of the ear disease and which drug will cure it best. I would then apply the selected drug into the ear canals for a two week period. Be aware that some ear treatments fail because the client does not put the applicator as far down the ear canal as they should, so get your vet to demonstrate just to be on the safe side. The infection is normally deep in the ear canal not at the surface you see.

I am so sorry I cannot suggest any home remedies here there is nothing much you can do on your own, the problem is you have to identify the precise cause before you treat the condition as all the treatments are different.

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS