Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science University of Melbourne

MY DOGS URINE IS ORANGE COLORED AND HE GOES TO THE BATHROOM

MY DOG'S URINE IS ORANGE COLORED AND HE GOES TO THE BATHROOM QUITE FREQUENTLY. HE ALSO DRINKS ALOT OF WATER AND BRATHING HEAVY AT TIMES. .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hi
The colour of a dog's urine can vary depending upon a lot of things. Some of these causes are not considered to be a problem, like ceratin foods (particularly some vegetables) and some prescription medications. However there are a few metabolic conditions that can cause darkening or a yellow/orange colour that need to be addressed.
In particular liver disease can do this. It is called jaundice and is due to bile pigments building up in the blood. These pigmenst are excreted through the urine causing a dramatic colour change. Any condition that causes an abnormally high breakdown in the red blood cells can also cause this. Both of these issues are very important and need to be considered here in particulare because he has an increased thirst and some breathing problems. Both of those signs can be associated with liver disease and anaemia. Urinary tract infections can also cause discolouration of the urine and an increased thirst.
So you need to have him examined by your vet quite soon. You should take a sample of his urine with you in a clean glass container as your vet will most likely want to examine it.
I hope I have been of help. Please contact me back if I can assist further.
Regards, Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

DR PETE,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I HAVE TAKEN MY DOG TO A VET AND HE

HAD EXTENSIVE "SENIOR" BLOOD WORK DONE. MAX IS 71/2 YRS OLD. HAS HAD

KIDNET STONES IN THE PAST. I WAS TOLD THAT NOTHING SHOWED UP FOR THE CAUSE OF HIS URINE COLOR. MEDS AND FOOD ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. TOOK MAX TO VET ON TUES 4/28 AND WAS TOLD ON SAT (DUE TO HAVING FEVER WHEN HE WAS SEEN THAT HE NEEDED AN ANTIBIOTIC. I'M

UNHAPPY WITH THE "TIMING" OF THESE DECISTION - ALSO I WILL BE GETTING A COPY OF HIS LAB RESULTS SO I CAN DO MY OWN RESEARCH.

Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you....different time zone.
It's good the senior profile showed all was ok. The colour change may reflect a change in his metabolic pathways. By this I mean that he may be eliminating a substance in the urine (that has a strong colour) that may have been previously metabolised to another less coloured chemical. Sometimes the darker colour can reflect a more concentrated urine too. That could happen if he was off colour for any reason...perhaps the fever. But the good thing is that his bloods were clear.
Let me know how he gets on. i'm happy to see his blood results if you want me to look at them.
Cheers, Peter
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Bachelor of Veterinary Science University of Melbourne