CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog is losing weight, not eating well, vomitting and just

my dog is losing weight, not eating well, vomitting and just had a seizure last night. she is over 10 and had a tick when I rescued her at about age 5. a vet had previously treated her for tick-borne disease (forgot name, it was the one that K9s from Vietnam brought over.) What could cause a seizure at this time? Lack of nutrition? She's so thin that you can see her ribs and hipbones, but will eat very little. She drinks constantly and pees very often. Breed: Foxhound
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi Llsatre21,

Unfortunately there are numerous causes of seizures...meaning that an over the counter product or home remedy is difficult to recommend.

Possible causes for seizures in dogs include, but are not limited to toxins, infectious/inflammatory causes, metabolic disease (e.g. kidney disease or liver disease), endocrine disease (e.g hyperthyroidism), epilepsy, and even brain tumors.

If a young or middle age dog begins to have seizures, although concerning, epilepsy is very possible. Unfortunately, when an older dog starts having seizures, we tend to think there is more likely to be an underlying cause such as a brain tumor or organ abnormalities.

There is no way to predict if your dog will ever have another seizure. There are times when a dog will have 1 or 2 seizures and never has a seizure again. Unfortunately, there are times when they continue to have seizures, and at times frequent seizures.

In an ideal world, a full work-up would be performed including bloodwork, x-rays, and even advanced tests such as an MRI to look for a tumor.

If that is not possible, and the seizures become more frequent, there are anti-convulsant medications that can be prescribed (such as phenobarbital) which can help in cases like this and are NOT terribly expensive!

You can discuss this with your veterinarian and try to find the best solution for your dog.

Regarding what to do now, in an ideal world you would take your dog to your vet or and ER today or tomorrow.

If your veterinarian is not open until Monday - the question would be what would be concerning enough to go to the ER ASAP.
- Signs of illness such as vomiting, anorexia, lethargy
- More than 1 seizure in 24 hours (cluster seizures)
- Other neurological behavior

I hope this information helps guide you :)
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.