Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

spayed dog with red and swollen around vulva area. vulva is

spayed dog with red and swollen around vulva area. vulva is not swollen and she has discomfort
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

I'm going to try and answer your question as best as I can based on the info I have at this time since your off line.

The most common situation that I see at my practice that fits what your describing is a perivulvar dermatitis. This is basically a bacterial skin infection around the vulva. The most common reason for this to occur is that this area might be staying a little more wet due to environmental issues. If she is sitting in moist areas - grass, puddles, etc. This area could also be moist due to urinary tract issues where urine is irritating the skin.

Sometimes this area can also get a secondary yeast infection fired up too.

In general, both of these situations are pretty simple matters to treat. I would strongly recommend getting into your vet here soon to have them evaluate her. If the find either of these two scenarios, they will most likely recommend either/or a combination of oral medications and topical medications to give her quick relief from the discomfort.

Hope she is feeling better here soon,