How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 17718
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a Combat ant trap about 1/2 hour ago. she did not

This answer was rated:

My dog ate a Combat ant trap about 1/2 hour ago. she did not ingest the plastic from the trap however, she did consume the ant bait/killer. What do I do? I am having trouble locating a vet, as I am out of town?
Hi Rachel,

I would like to help you out but I need to ask you a few questions first.
Can you tell me what type of dog you have (approximate size), her age and if she has had any previous medical conditions? Also how is she acting now (any changes since she ingested the bait)?


Dr. Bruce
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bella, is a Stafford Shire Terrier. she is approx. 2 1/2 years old and wieghs between 34-38 pounds. Presently she has no suspicious behavior since she ate the bait. No previous medical conditions. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have included that before, sorry.


Thanks for the information... glad to hear she is a medium to larger size dog!

I was looking up the active ingredient in the Combat ant traps and I have found a couple different ingredients depending on which trap was used. Do you still have the package so you can tell me which ingredient is present?? If not I will try to send you pictures of the different packages I've found.

Fortunately most of these traps/baits are not highly toxic. So hopefully we will be okay.

Dr. Bruce
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is kind of difficult as I am inquirring for my som whom is in AL with my grand-dog, Bella. He does not know which it was. The active ingredient begins with a -L- . You think she will be okay? She is the only grand-dog I have and she is very dear to me. Thank you for all of your time and energy for Bella.
I didn't find any Combat Ant Traps that had the active ingredient starting with an "L". The ones I found had either Fipronil or Hydramethalon in them.

They both carry a pretty high margin of safety with dogs. In order to see toxicity with the Hydramethalon, Bella would have had to ingest more than 15 oz of the bait which is not likely if she only got into one trap. The most common clinical sign with this toxin is vomiting an gagging.... but again I think we are not likely to see this with the amount she got in to. The Fipronil at the dose that we see in the ant traps is so small, she should be safe.

We usually worry more about the dogs eating the plastic traps and getting a physical obstruction more than we worry about the poison itself causing a toxicity to the dogs! So if she didn't eat the plastic, we should be good!

I would just have your son keep an eye on her today... watch for any vomiting or any signs of shaking/tremoring. If any of these are noted then he should contact a vet and have Bella seen. I think the chance of this is very low though.

Good Luck!
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Deep sigh...Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for being here today and assisting in Bella's case. We could not contact any other vets. You are a life saver :)
Glad to be of help! And glad you don't have anything to worry about!

Dr. Bruce