LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

My dogs skin smells like sulfur (like a match top). Always

Customer Question

My dogs skin smells like sulfur (like a match top). Always had nice smell this symptom arose about two weeks ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for writing in,

Is your dogs skin greasy as well?

Is he/she itchy?

What breed and age is your dog?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No she is not greasy, but she did developed Cushings disease, due to high doses of prednisone she was taking, so she was real scabby on her back side, this is clearing up now. I bath her with medicated shampoo called Sulfodene. Active ingredients are coal tar, sulfur, and triclosan. Even though she is scabby she does not appear to be itchy. Rubi is a three year old Rottweiller.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Ok thank you for that added info. What I think may be going on is that she has a yeast infection on her skin. This is very common in Cushingoid dogs. This is what is likely giving her this foul odor. The shampoo that you are using does not contain anything that would help with yeast and sounds like it is a bit harsh. WHat I would suggest you do is bring your girl to your vet and have them preform a skin cytology where they will take a very superficial scraping of her skin and look at it under the microscope for yeast. If found they will start her on medications and you should notice that smell go away very fast. I hope this helps!!!