Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Crusty cap on dogs nose as a fungus type. Tried seveal things

Crusty cap on dogs nose as a fungus type. Tried seveal things that havent works so far. Told it was a type of fugus. Some spots also traveled on the bridge of nose and eye brow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I wouldn't be so quick to jump to a fungal infection. I'm not sure what vet would have said that.
Crusty nose, especially an condition that doesn't respond to typical topicals that most people try over the counter may suggest an auto-immune disease called Discoid Lups. This is where the skin essentially attacks itself. The nose and the paw pads are a very common place, and the nose looks exactly as you describe.

So, I would recommend you get a second opinion from another vet in another hospital. To get a diagnosis, under sedation, a small biopsy needs to be taken of the nose. This is real important to get a definitive diagnosis. However, based on examination by a new vet, they may say something other than this fungal issue, which would also be helpful.

But, the autoimmune condition is fixable if that happens to be the case.
Here's a little more info about it.

Good Luck

I wish the best for both you and your pet. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.