Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

My dog is vomiting, not eating or drinking, and has wattery

My dog is vomiting, not eating or drinking, and has wattery eyes. Yesterday she vomitted and it was white and clear in color. Today it was brown. She has extremley bad breathe. She is very weak, and just lays around. Does not respond when she is called.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to try to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How old is your dog?

What breed is your dog?

When did she last eat?

When did she last drink?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She is born in November 2006

She is a Rottweiller mixed (SPCA did not know the other breed)

If I had to guess I would say Friday was the last time she ate.

I'm not sure when she las drank.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Is she fully vaccinated?

Any diarrhea?

When did the vomiting start?

Did the vomitus today look like coffee grounds?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am pretty sure she is current with her vaccinations.

She does have diarrhea today.

Yesterday was the first time we saw her vomit, but she has been hiding from us since Friday. Today we had to beg her, almost drag her out from under our house.

The vomit was yellowish brown and stringy. I did not appear to look like coffee grounds to me. Remember yesterday it was white, clear and foamy.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hmm...

And do you know of her getting into anything she should not have last week (garbage, chocolate, compost, etc)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not that we are aware of. We live in the country and she pretty much has free roam.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ahh...Thanks for that information.

There are a lot of different possibilities for what may be going on with your dog.

The ones that I would be considering if she came to see me are:

1. One of the things that I think of first in a young dog is that she may have a Gastrointestinal Foreign Body.

Dogs eat the strangest things - plastic bags, children's toys, bones, bits of towel, socks, rocks and other things. Often, these foreign bodies pass through the intestinal tract, but sometimes they do not. They may get caught in the stomach or the small intestines.

The symptoms of a GI foreign body are generally vomiting, loss of appetite, depression and dehydration. If your dog consumed an object that is caught in the stomach or small intestines, it might explain the symptoms that you are seeing. This would be particulary true if the object were something like a ball that could bob over pylorus (outflow from the stomach) and then move away again. Thus, water could pass through but not food.

In the case of an obstruction, surgery is often needed to remove the foreign object. I will include further information about GI foreign bodies:

http://www.michvet.com/library/surgery_gi_foreign_body.asp

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If I examined your dog and was concerned about a foreign body, I would probably recommend x-rays to see if a foreign object were visible. A rock would show up very well on x-rays. A plastic bag would not show up on x-rays. It does, however, show up very well if the dog is given some barium (a type of milkshake like drink) by mouth. Then a determination can be made about how best to get this out of the dog, or whether it might move through on its own.

2. It is possible your girl simply has gastroenteritis from eating something she shouldn't have. Table scraps, twigs and leaves, or the body of a dead animal on your property could be the culprit! Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines and can be caused by a large number of things, including sudden dietary changes.

Usually, gastroenteritis would not be this severe.

3. A bacterial infection:

Dogs can be affected by overgrowths of bacteria in the intestines. In an adult dog these might not be more than a nuisance. The 3 most common are Campylobacter, Salmonella and E.Coli.

Here is a link with more information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2232

4. Pancreatitis

This is an inflammation of the pancreas, often triggered by a high fat meal. With "acute pancreatitis" dogs are very sick, with severe vomiting, painful belly and fever. However, with a low-grade, chronic fulminant pancreatitis it is basically a "slow burn" version of acute pancreatitis. The pancreas remains inflamed, with periods of pain and nausea, and vomiting intermittently.

Pancreatitis is a serious medical problem and is diagnosed by having bloodwork done and possibly x-rays. Dogs with pancreatitis may need to go on a course of antibiotics to treat the chronic pancreatitis and may need a prescription food to "put out the fire" of this chronic problem. Typically the diet is ultra-low fat. At first dogs may not want to eat it because of feeling nauseated and it does not tempt her. But with medications they soon feel *much* better and keep feeling well if they stays on an appropriate food.

For more information:

http://www.judithstock.com/Speaking_of_Animals/Pancreatitis_in_Dogs/pancreatitis_in_dogs.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1580&articleid=335

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2214

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there are a number of possibilities for what may be going on. Your vet would need to do a physical exam and possibly some diagnostic tests to figure out what the underlying problem is. I would start with a fecal sample, blood test and abdominal x-rays. It sounds like it is time to find out what is going on!

I would strongly recommend seeing a vet as soon as possible If your vet is still open, then it would be best to take her right in. If you absolutely cannot get to a vet at the moment, there are some things you can do at home until you can get her in to the vet:

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for 12 hours if she has been vomiting today. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When she is fasting, she can have lots of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but also she can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1 cup an hour.

3. After 12 hours IF SHE HAS STOPPED VOMITING, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 1/2 cup every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in.

If your girl continues to vomit, develops blood in the stool, is lethargic or shows signs of abdominal pain, please contact a veterinarian promptly. I do think that it is time to find out what may be going on with her. My top concern would be a gastrointestinal foreign body. Good luck with your dog!

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is also drooling alot, it seems to be thick. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Drooling usually indicates nausea.

My top guess would be a foreign body - like a ball or a stone that is stuck in her stomach. I do feel that she needs to see a vet as this is clearly not going to resolve on its own. I am very worried that she must be very dehydrated by now!

I do hope that she will be ok...

Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario