Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

can i dock my puppies tails by banding with rubberband

have 8 pupps 45 & vet visit = very expensive
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thanks for your question, but in short NO you cannot dock puppies tails like via rubber banding them! Not only is this against the law via animal welfare codes, but this is much more likely to do more harm than good. Several times I have had clients who have tried this with their puppies and they have caused problems that needed to be rectified via surgery and long courses of antibiotics that would have amounted to at least $400 per puppy each time. For these welfare and financial reasons as well the trouble this can cause to puppy, the only way that a puppies tail can be docked is by a qualified Veterinarian and even then we have strict welfare guidelines and protocols to follow.

It may seem expensive to you, but the price and repercussions of attempting this yourself really show that you are much better off leaving this to your Vet.

I hope this has helped and please reply if you need more info won't you.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you doc. i found this dog on the highway its a rottweiller and she was obviosly pregers anyway another vet said i should dock i was'nt going to but she said it was hard to get rid of the pups if you don't dock