Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog cant seem to lay down because it hurts. She stands

My dog can't seem to lay down because it hurts. She stands all the time and may sit on her butt but wont put her head or upper body down and if she does it seem sot hurt.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Is she vomiting or having diarrhea? How is her appetite?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has eaten normal. No vomiting, no diarrhea. She has also pooped once this morning. She lays downs for a minute or so then she stands up and/or sits on her butt with both front legs and upper body up. She seems down and sad. It started this morning. She is a 14 year old chihuaha mix.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Is she breathing faster than normal? Is she coughing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is not coughing. Right now she is so tired she managed to lay on her side inside her bed and makes small noises. Oops she just got up. My concern is that she won't be able to sleep all night long. What do I do? my vets in the area are closed and I can call if it is an emergency.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
In an older dog that cannot rest, I worry about pain, or heart disease. I have seen dogs with congestive heart failure acutely be unable to remain in a resting posture, because it prevents them from filling the lungs with air completely. This is called orthopnea.

If she truly cannot seem to get any rest, then I think you might want to call the emergency number. I'm not able to tell you with certainty that this is an emergency because I cannot examine her, but I am definitely concerned because of her age, that this could be something serious.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One last question. We gave her early Metacam at noon, if she has a heart condition, did this make it worst? obviously it didn't help with the pain. Please comment
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Metacam shouldn't hurt the heart, but I agree with you that it makes pain a less likely explanation.