Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

All three of my dogs are eating dirt, sand and horse manure

All three of my dogs are eating dirt, sand and horse manure as if it were their last meal!!! What is this all about. I do feed them 2x aday and give them a ProCare nutritional suppliment.
Sydney Beck

How large are your dogs?
How much food do you feed them in a meal?
What brand of food do you feed them?
Are they on a monthly heartworm preventative?
Are they on a monthly flea preventative?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Angel is a 9yr German sheperd weight is 70#, good health, vetted March 2009 1 1/2 -2 cups 2x a day(she sometimes eats Rizzo's feed)

Rizzo is a 9yr border collie/lab weight is 56#, vet checked out to be very healthy in March 2009 1 1/2 cups 2x a day

Tulip is a 6yr Shizu/lasa weight 8#, vetted in March 2009, 1/2 to 3/4 cup 2x a day

All checked for, no heartworms, not on a preventative.

They get recommended feed for their size 2x a day.

I use Nutra Max dry feed. No other foods.

Nutritional suppliment daily: Pro Care by Melaleuca

Not on a flea preventative since November. Was using Preventics collars on all of them,purchased from the vets.

Horses are wormed on a regular schedule set by vet.(manure they are eating has been checked for eggs and worms, not any at this time)Not to say that they didn't eat some that had parisites in them earlier

It certainly sounds like they are being fed an appropriate amount. However, since ALL of them are displaying this activity of eating dirt, sand and maneur, it sounds like they are having a problem meeting their nutritional requirements. Since they are not on a heartworm preventative (which also controls intestinal parasites) and they are not on a flea preventative (fleas carry tapeworms), I think that it is quite possible that they are having a problem with intestinal parasites.

They should all have fecal samples submitted to look for parasites, and all of them should be empirically dewormed with a broad spectrum dewormer like Drontal Plus. The reason to deworm them anyway, is because dogs will only test positive for worms 40% of the time, when they are actually present. The reason to test the stool, is that not all dewormers kill all parasites, and the dogs may have a different parasite show up on the test, that needs another medication to get rid of.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dogs. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K