Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate, caring and practical. 20 yrs of private practice experience.

my dog ate fabric softener dryer sheets. What should I do

my dog ate fabric softener dryer sheets. What should I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor GF replied 7 years ago.
What brand was it??
Doctor GF
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

fleecy - aroma therapy sheets - vanilla scented

Expert:  Doctor GF replied 7 years ago.
I woould advise you to call the company on the back panel and ask concerning the ingredients. I can't find the ingredients online. Make sure the ingredients do not pose a health hazard. Dryer sheets usually pose a problem ONLY from the aspect of GI impaction. So depending on how many they ate and how big of a dog they are........
I think you have a couple options:
1. Take them to the vets office-obviously what we would recommend
2. Induce vomiting-feed a couple slices of bread to help surround it and then give 1tbsp of peroxide every 5 minutes until they vomit-obviously do this outside if you can.
3. If you can't make them vomit and the ingredients are nontoxic then feed a cushion diet of bread, mashed potatoes, rice with a little boiled chicken or beef-this type of diet is used to push things thru the system-feed it for 3-5 days and monitor the stools.

In any case you need to watch for evidence of obstruction......vomiting, not eating, lack of stool production, belly pain.
Good luck and let me know how it turns out!!

If this has been helpful to you then please click the green accept button so that I may be credited for my time. If you have follow-up questions then click the reply button. As always, a thorough hands-on exam by a veterinarian is recommended. I am only providing you with my opinion based on the information you have provided. Legally, I can not prescribe federally regulated medications or diagnose your pet’s condition without an examination. All feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Doctor GF