Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog ate some roach killer with FIPRONIL. She chewed an old

My dog ate some roach killer with FIPRONIL. She chewed an old tube of COMBAT ROACH GEL. The dog is an 8 mo. old chihuahua/pug mix. She chewed on the tube at least 2 hours ago. What should I do?

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 8 month old Chihuahua mix who has been chewing on a combat roach gel tube! The insecticides used most commonly includes fipronil like the one your girl chewed on and they also usually contain inert ingredients such as peanut butter, breadcrumbs, sugar and vegetable or animal, which are attracting to pets. Exposures to roach bait usually do not require any treatment.

Most often, if signs are seen at all, they are mild in nature and self-limiting and are usually attributed to the inert ingredients instead of the active ingredient. However, there are some roach baits that ALSO contain forms of arsenic that can result in more severe GI signs.

For this reason we are better to be on the safe side ane make your girl vomit. There are several ways of doing this, however taking her to your emergency Vet for some Apo-morphine is the best way. If you are not able to take your dog to your local Vet or emergency Vet as it sounds like you can't, the next best bet is 3% hydrogen peroxide. See below for details of use:

• Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 5-10 ml via the mouth, may be repeated once. Make sure the hydrogen peroxide is active i.e. it should bubble and fizz. Feeding a few pieces of bread may improve vomiting efficiency and give bulk to push out the agent.

Best of luck and please let me know how you get on with this. Please reply if you need any further help.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards