Dr. Christy
Dr. Christy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years clinical experience with a passion in small mammals and internal medicine.

My dog ate one of my .25 topamax tabs will she be ok

My dog ate one of my .25 topamax tabs will she be ok?
Hello moneymom,
Can you please tell me how much your dog weighs and if she is on any other medications? How long ago did she eat the medication?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She weighs 5 lbs. and it has been maybe an hour ago, she seems fine. I am not ABSOLUTELY certain, she got in my purse and tore (sp) open a bag that had my medicine in it. I just can't find one of two pills. I am just really scared.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I forgot no she is not on any other meds.

Thank you for the additional information. I am going to assume that your topamax tablets are 25mg - is that correct?

Just to ease your mind - an acceptable dose for a dog your size is 22mg - more info to come once I am sure you mean 25mg tabs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, I am sorry, I just checked email, I thought I was to stay on the original page.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes they are 25 mg.
This medication has a very short 1/2 life in dogs. That means that the drug is half-gone from her system in 1-4 hours at the latest. This dose is very unlikely to cause any problems at all. If you see anything, you may see a bit of "sluggish" behavior. 25mg is just slightly higher then we would use to help control epilepsy in a dog this size.

I do not think that you have any cause to worry. If you would like to extra cautious though, you can always stimulate vomiting by giving 1/2 tablespoon 3percent hydrogen peroxide. I hope that this helps to calm your fears.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Christy,

thank you so much, you have made me feel so much better. I am sure you hear this all the time from "parents". I feel terrible that she even got in my purse. It is a lesson learned. God Bless you for what you do. I will keep this site book marked and pray I never have to use it after hours again, but Thank God, you were here. Many blessings to you, Bella's mommie.