Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My pug was foaming at the mouth and vomiting foamy spit up

Customer Question

My pug was foaming at the mouth and vomiting foamy spit up through his nostrils and shaking violently at the same time, what could cause this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like it may have been a seizure. How long did it last? How old is your dog?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't believe it was a seizure as our pug could move about freely and his eyes were focused on us when we picked him up, his tail was wagging but he was shaking. The foam from his nose and mouth only lasted a couple of minutes. We rushed him to the vet's and they fed him some activated charcoal, etc. to make him vomit more. After observing him for 5 hours and examining his vomit, they found nothing at all. Our dog is 8 1/2 months old. He's home now with us and back to his active, playful self. Undecided

Hmm. If he was responsive to you during it, it definitely doesn't sound as much like a seizure. It sounds like a toxin ingestion of some sort. Maybe some mushrooms in the yard, or a toad, depending on where you live, but it could be anything. We'll probably never know at this point. Glad to hear he is back to his wonderful pug self!
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ann M.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I agree that it probably wasn't a seizure, which is somewhat common for pugs and that you mentioned it could have possibly been some sore of toxin. We have had a lot of oak wood stored along the side of the house and I noticed it has some type of fungus growing on it. The vet said that they couldn't find anything in Cody's vomit. I wish he could just tell us what he ate. He's done this now twice in one month.

My sister in law's friend said that her dog began foaming after trying to lick off the Flea Advantage off it's fur. I did put Advantage on our other dog three days prior to the foaming incident.

It could be the fungus, but it is unlikely that it would be the Advantage.