Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog ate chocolate covered espresso beans. What should I do?

My dog ate 15 chocolate covered espresso beans. Should I take him to emergency? He is hyper, but no other signs of anything.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Both chocolate and coffee are very toxic to dogs. How big is this boy and how long ago did he ingest these beans?

I look forward to helping you asap.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My dog is 13 pounds, a Shih Tzu. I was gone for the last four hours. When I got home I saw he got into my bag. I'm not sure when he ate them.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for that extra info. We may still be in the window of gastric emptying - meaning we may still be able to get this boy to vomit these back up and hopefully avoid any further signs from him. If you are not comfortable doing this then just get him down to your local ER Vet now where they may do this now, or just keep a close eye on him overnight.

There are several ways we can get your boy to vomit, however peroxide would be the best from home. See below for details of use:

Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 2 - 3 ml (half a teaspoon) via the mouth, may be repeated once. Make sure the hydrogen peroxide is active i.e. it should bubble and fizz. Feeding a few pieces of bread may improve vomiting efficiency and give bulk to push out the agent.

If you think it has been longer than 3 - 4 hours since ingestion of the beans, then you are better off getting this boy to the Vet for monitoring overnight. Please either attempt getting your boy to vomit now or get him down to your local Vet or ER Vet for further monitoring and management.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please be sure to reply. Best of luck and do keep in touch with his progress.