Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog is pregnant and she has very bad gas. Is this common

My dog is pregnant and she has very bad gas. Is this common? Also it seems she can't get comfortable anywhere, is this a sign of going into labor?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

The gas is not uncommon as the gravid uterus (pregnant uterus) will take up much of the abdomen and compress the colon. Stress induced gas is also common in these pregnant dogs.

The inability to get comfortable may be a sign that she is progressing to labor. More importantly, you should pay attention to how many days it has been post breeding. Normal gestation is 62 days so when it gets to 58-59 days you should be getting close. You can also take rectal temperatures and watch for the temp drop that happens ~ 24 hours prior to labor. Normal temp is 100-102. The temp will drop to 97-99 ~ 24 hours prior to labor. You'll also see nesting behavior, panting and anxiety in this time period.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One other question, is short breaths common also?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Yes, with the uterus pressing on the diaphragm, they will often have short rapid breathing. Panting is more of a sign we see when they are getting ready to go into labor as they are stressed and anxious.