Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Do you mean a kennel cage that delivers oxygen for at home use?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I don't believe that is legally possible. You have to be permitted to have an oxygen tank on the premises of your home. This will greatly depend probably on county and/or state laws. So, I would start first with discussing this with your veterinarian. I don't know of any manufacturers who would rent a cage, so you would have to purchase one. Not ideal either due to cost.
I wish I could be more helpful, but there are some serious safety implications to having a in-house oxygen tank to support the O2 cage.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
<p> </p><p>Here is a cut and paste of some information provided by Dr. Z. As you can see, it still largely dependent on your primary veterinarian, the laws of your locality, and getting a prescription from your vet for the O2 tank.   Hope that helps. Dr. Andy </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>I agree with your post, but just wanted to add one suggestion. If an oxygen cage IS indicated, and their vet agrees, it's actually not that difficult to make one. At least one that will work for short term use. I had to do so years ago to transport my cat back home when he went into heart failure while we were visiting my family - aXXXXXfrom home.<br />We took a plastic carrier and covered all the openings with clear plastic (we used packing tape, but anything similar will do). I then purchased several of the small E oxygen tanks (which you often see cardiac or emphysema patients carrying around with them), tubing, a regulator and a device to bubble the oxygen through water (can't remember what that's called - this was a good 8 or 10 years ago <G>). The only reason we got several tanks is that we weren't sure how quickly we'd run through them, and we didn't want to run out while we were on the road. One or 2 is probably more than sufficient, and they may even be able to rent one. Either way, buying or renting, they will probably need a prescription from their vet to get the tank. At any rate, once we had all those items, which we got at a local medical/homecare supply store, hooking it up was pretty easy. <br />The other thing we had to monitor was the temperature, to make sure it didn't get too hot in the cage. In our case, I monitored it "by hand", but it would be preferable to get a thermometer that can be hooked inside the cage and read from outside.</p>