Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

I just noticed my dogs paw pad on the TPLO leg appears feathered

I just noticed my dog's paw pad on the TPLO leg appears "feathered" and when rubbing the tissue, the "feathers" came off in chunks. She (60# XXXXX lab/border collie mix) has just recently begun putting more weight on the foot/leg without tactile & verbal cueing. Is this condition from her non-weight-bearing or do I need to have it culured?   thank you-sharon

Thank you for using, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is this what your pooch's paw pad looks like? Or close too it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How did you get a picture of my dog's paw!?:) Yes that's pretty much it. I feel like a bad parent not having noticed it before now and of course I'll schedule an appointment for her but whatever help you can give til Monday will be most appreciated:)

I "have a picture of your dog's paw" because it is very common with many dogs. It is called hyperkeratosis (Hyper = a lot or more than usual, keratosis = skin production) literally means extra skin growth. This can happen for many reasons. If that is on the leg that had the TPLO I strongly suspect that it is due to the fact that your pooch has not been using his leg as much as usual and doesn't wear down the tissue (makes sense during a post surgical recovery). This can even be seen around the edges of all paw pads in some "normal" dogs and not in others depending on the manner in which they walk on their paws. For most dogs this is technically abnormal but not due to disease and usually requires no treatment. I suspect that once your pooch recovers 100% it will wear down again and disappear.

Now, there are diseases that can cause this like lupus and lupus-like diseases, so it is a good idea to have your vet check it but it can wait for an open appointment in my opinion. Best Wishes.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dostor Dan; Thank you for taking the time for the "feedback" and for the well wishes. We'll need those as Fiona is a dog to whom "if it can happen-it will". I'd looked at several websites for something to help identfy this and I suspected the hyperkeratosis description. I'm very glad I tried the Just Answer and feel like I have good back up when I can't reach my own vets. Thanks again and kudos for your service. Customer/p>

Absoultely, it's clients like you who make this website and our profession rewarding.