Dr. Jan
Dr. Jan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of veterinary experience. Graduate of UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

my dog has been coughing and spitting up plem what can cause

Customer Question

my dog has been coughing and spitting up plem what can cause that
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

Could you give me some more information about what is going on? How long has your dog been coughing? How old is he? What breed? What does the cough sound like?

Any other symptoms? How's his appetite? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Thank you,
Dr. Jan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it started about 6 hours ago but it is only getting worse and it came out of nowhere she is about 12 she is a dashhound and the sound it a nasty hacking cough and yes she has vomiting. she has no history of any allergies she still has a pretty good appetite and she is drinking normaly but she is showing signs of being short of breath. she dont show any signs of being tired. she is keeping down anything that she eats but she had vomitied her water. when it first started i thought she was trying jto hack up a fur ball of something but it has been constant not any better no matter what her stomach has rejected.
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

There are a couple of possibilites that come to mind with your description. The first is Kennel Cough. This is a harsh cough that usually results in bringing up foamy fluid which the dog often swallows back again. Kennel Cough is due to a combination of bacteria and viruses and can sound like your dog will cough itself to death. Treatment aimed at the bacterial component of the infection. If not treated, the cough usually lasts about 7-10 days. In some cases, it can progress into a much more serious pneumonia.

Here's a link, including video of a dog with Kennel Cough:

The second possibility is a condition called Tracheal Collapse. The cartilage that forms the trachea (wind pipe) weakens as the dog ages and folds over on itself, which causes the dog to cough as it tries to get air into the lungs. This is a problem that is much more common in small breed dogs, and although it can't be cured, it can be controlled with medication.

Here's further information:

The third possiblity is that your dog is going into heart failure. Often there is a past history of a heart murmur and as the heart weakens, fluid builds up in the lungs which causes the coughing. Since this cough came on suddenly, and you didn't mention a heart problem, this is a less likely possibility.

Since your dog is 12 years old, it would be wise to have him checked out by your veterinarian. Older dogs may not get over an episode of Kennel Cough, for example, as easily as a young dog.

I hope this has been helpful; let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Jan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your time i will make sure that she is seen in case of her needing treatment. you have been a big help and helped take a lot of uncertinay off of my mind instead of sitting here worring all night. Thank you again jody
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.
You're very welcome.

Does your dog's cough sound like the Kennel Cough on the link?

Good luck!