Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

Dog bleeding from anus.

Customer Question

Dog bleeding from anus.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How old is the dog?

When did this start?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 6 years old. The bleeding is frank. Decreased activity, not eating a lot or drinking a lot. It started about midnight last night. She is alert and orient to her name. Eyes are bright. Does not cry out in pain. Bleeding has stopped since I came home from work at 1600.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
And what breed of dog?

Was she 100% normal yesterday during the day?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shitu mix and was fine yesterday
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Is she "scooting" her anal area along the ground at all?

When did she last have a bowel movement, and was it formed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She was scooting a couple of days ago, and has soft brown stool. Don't know when last bowel movement was.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
And how much blood is there?

Are there saucer sized puddles on the floor?

Or are there drops of it here and there?

Is she licking at her anal area?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was two saucer sixed pubbles on blanket. No clots, she did lick at her anal area a little.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Please could you check a couple of things:

1. What is her respiratory rate (number of breaths per minute) at rest?

2. Please open her mouth and check the colour of her tongue and gums. Are they:
- bubble gum pink
- dark red
- pale pink
- white
- muddy pink
- blue

3. Any bruising on the whites of her eyes?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1.Normal
2.bubble gum pink
3.no
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me the number of breaths per minute?

Is she able to walk around or is she too weak?

Can you look VERY carefully at her anus and see if the blood is coming from beside her anus, or if she has a red area beside her anus?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about 20 -30 breaths per min. She is able to walk around just fine. The blood is comming from her anus.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
And she is eating? what percentage of normal is she eating?

No vomiting?

is she on any medications at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No vomiting, and not medications. She eating very little dog food.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ok!

I am very concerned about your dog.

With the symptoms you are describing, I am worried that she may have HGE - hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. This is a problem that tends to occur in small breed dogs, often when they are quite young (2-4 years is most common). It comes on very suddenly, with vomiting, diarrhea and/or frank blood in the stools.

Typically, these patients are very dehydrated and shocky. A blood test called the "packed cell volume" (PCV, hematocrit or HCT are other names for this) is often 60% or higher, which is a measure of how very dehydrated and shocky dogs with this problem are. HGE needs to be treated aggressively with IV fluids, anti-nausea medication, antibiotics and gastric protectants.

In terms of what causes this, the short answer is we don't know. There are many theories - a virus, a bacteria, a food poisoning, a parasite, stress. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that we really just don't know. Most dogs that have HGE never have another episode, however.

With treatment, most dogs do recover from HGE and have no lasting problems. It does, however, take several days of treatment and supportive care.

For more information, here are some links:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23311.htm

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hge.html

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

Now, I don't know that this is what is going on - it is the thing that worries me most because it is so serious. If she is able to keep down water, and is no longer passing blood you may be ok to wait until the morning... but in a perfect world where we did not have to think about money, I would recommend being seen tonight.

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. My last vet used the same needle to vaccinate my four dogs. I will not use her again. Can you reccommend a vet near Prairie Grove, AR? Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
WOW - I have never heard of a vet doing that! Given that a box of 100 needles costs about $12 it seems really unnecessary!

I don't know any vets there personally, but I can tell you what I tell friends of mine when they move to a new area:

I have worked in many different cities, and as a veterinarian, I always take my time choosing what clinic I want to work at when we move. There are clinics where I enjoy working (those that offer the very best in care and service) and those where I don't (those that offer the very cheapest in care and service - often at the expense of the animal's health).

That is not to say that the most expensive clinic is the best, XXXXX XXXXX that there are a wide range of "levels" of care. Some owners want everything that can be done - up to and including kidney transplants! Others want very basic care and cannot afford any extras.

So, if I were moving to a new city, the first thing I would do is to phone the local emergency and critical care veterinary hospitals.

I worked at the Vancouver Animal Emergency Clinic (which is a 24h critical care hospital) for 3 years. Animals that were too sick to be hospitalized in a clinic without 24h veterinary care would be sent to us... Along with their medical records.

So, we had a *very* good idea of what went on in those hospitals, and who was doing the best for their patients, and who was not. Ethically, we could not tell people to switch vets... but if someone called and said they were new to town and looking for a vet, we could certainly tell them which clinics to choose!

If you call a 24hour emergency/critical care clinic, it is best to do it around noon to early afternoon as that is when things are calmest (usually). Ask to speak to a vet. Or, better yet, show up with a box of cookies and ask to talk with a vet! ;-)

You could also look in your yellow pages for a local specialty clinic (meaning other vets refer patients there). They would know who is good and who is not.

Another option to consider would be http://www.vetratingz.com/index2.jsp

which is a website where people can rate their vet.

Keep in mind, you are getting the opinion of a lay person (whereas when you phone the Emerg clinic you are getting the opinion of one vet about another vet) but when I have read them for areas I have worked, they are fairly reliable.

Another option would be to phone the veterinary colllege serving Arkansas to ask them. I believe for you it is the Mississippi State University college of veterinarians. Here is their website http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/index.html. Now, you can't really say "who is good?" because that is hard for them to answer, ethically. But you can say "who refers a lot of cases to you?" because that is going to be who is good! Vets who work things up and refer them are learning so much from the vet school's specialists, and are not just trying to make money by keeping the challenging cases and muddling along even if they don't know what they are doing. Hope that helps and that you find an excellent vet to help you! Most emergency and critical care hospitals offer top notch care, so that might be the place to start tonight!

Best wishes!

YOu do NOT need to click accept again even though the system will prompt you to do so!

Good luck with your search!

Fiona