Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my chihuahua is suddenly sick. she wont eat or barely drink

my chihuahua is suddenly sick. she won't eat or barely drink and acts like it hurts to walk. she cannot go up a small step. she is hiding under the bed and won't hardly come out. we sprayed the yard with pesticide and fertilized the lawn. at first we thought maybe she was bitten or stung by something. now i'm wondering if she somehow ingested something from the yard. maybe from licking her feet or something. she acts like she's feeling better, but it's still not good. is there anything we can do for her here at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about these problems.
Honestly, for a little Chihuahua to have these symptoms, I would strongly recommend an examination by a vet. With no underlying explanation for the cause, and with suspicions for toxin exposure or commonly, an insect bite hypersensitivity reaction, you really need to get her some supportive care. I would not recommend you wait this out. Now, I frequently recommend over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, but they can be very dangerous it such a little pet. Absolutely no tylenol or ibuprofen. You can use aspirin, but as I said, it can be hard on the stomach and more dangerous to accurately dosage in a small pet.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Veterinary examination for basic treatment and to get her more comfortable quickly is the way to go.

Good Luck
I wish the best for both you and your pet. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.