Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My vet gave me Acepromazine 25 mg for my 110 lb dog. So I could

My vet gave me Acepromazine 25 mg for my 110 lb dog. So I could cut his nails. It said to give him 2 and if that didn't work give him 1 more. Well, the 2 didn't do the trick and so I gave him the 3rd one and he can't stand up very well and I am afraid. How long does this last?
How old is your dog? Does he have any medical problems that you know of?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he is 8 and as far as I know he has no medical problems

OK, thanks for the information.

I wouldn't worry about an overdose, since Acepromazine is pretty safe overall, within reason, and the dose of 75 mg to a 110 lb dog is not really that high of a dose.

The effects of Acepromazine are usually going to last from 8 to 12 hours, though some animals seem to be groggy for a day or 2 after receiving the pills.

If he is really out of it, you may need to help him to go to the bathroom, by supporting his body with a sling or towel to help him carry his weight around. Make sure water is easily accessible to him, even if it means bringing him the bowl.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been so worried and can't get his vet. I have never used anything always had them do it but times are getting hard. If I have to do with out lunch for a month, they can cut his nails cause I really don't like the effect of this. Thank you again and I hope I don't have to go this route again.
Next time you might want to try a combination of Acepromazine and Xanax or Acepromazine with Valium -- I like the combination better than a high dose of Ace by itself!