Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog has a red sore looking anus. He seems okay in every

My dog has a red sore looking anus. He seems okay in every other aspect, eating, drinking, urinating and defecating okay. Could it possibly be from red ant bites ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a couple questions?
1) How long has his anus looked red and sore?
2) Has he been scooting his rear end in the past couple days?
3) Has he been licking the area?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No scooting, but he has been licking the area for about a day and a half. I noticed the redness yesterday. I was hoping there was something I could do for him at home to make him more comfortable...
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
I would be suspicious that the red, sore looking anus could either be a peri-rectal dermatitis or anal gland abscess. Both of these conditions can look similar to what you are describing. Both are pretty uncomfortable. As far as what you can do at home, it is very limited. In an at home situation, the best you can do is to keep the area clean and dry.

If it truly is an anal gland abscess, that is something that won't resolve without your vet becoming involved. This requires flushing/opening of the duct and oral antibiotics to help with the infection.

Here is a link on anal glands.

Your questioning as to it being due to red ant bites is one that I can't totally rule out. Obviously, if a bunch occurred in that area, that could definitely be the cause. In that situation, keeping the area clean and dry will be the best you can do at home. Once the irritation/bites have resolved, the discomfort will resolve.

I would recommend having him looked at if it persists.