DrLucy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Almost 30 yr as a practicing small animal vet.; experience in gen.medicine, surgery, emerg/

Spayed dog has developed a brown discharge. What can I do?

Customer Question

My female spayed 5yr old dog has developed a brown discharge....she is eating,drinking & acting fine, what could this be???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.

I am assuming that you mean a discharge from her vulva (vagina). If she was spayed more than a year ago, and has had no problems since then, there are a few possibilities. One is that she has a urinary tract infection and there is a little blood (from bloody urine) that is staying behind on the outside. To check this out, you should wipe off this area with a damp towel or baby wipe, and then collect a fresh urine specimen (in a plate, bowl, jar cap, etc. and take it to your vet for analysis. Another possibility is that she has hair around her vulva, and it is trapping urine, skin cells, and moisture, which looks brown as it dries. It may even set up a dermatitis of the skin in that area, but if this were the case, I would probably expect her to try to lick herself. Occasionally a spayed female will get a vaginal infection, but this is rare and might suggest a hormone imbalance. What I would suggest, if it is not a urinary tract infection or a "personal hygiene" problem, is to have your vet do a thorough exam, to make sure that something odd is not going on.