Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My chihuahua has had diarrhea x2 days with lots of mucus in

My chihuahua has had diarrhea x2 days with lots of mucus in the stool and today there was a small amount of blood not much but it was visable
Thanks for the question S001er1

I will answer your question in two parts, the first related to the blood in your Chihuahua's faeces and the second on the diarrhoea.

1. The Blood : This is actually very common in the dog and I have been asked about it many times. Provided your dog is bright and alert, happy and eating you have little to worry about when there is bright red blood in the faeces, particularly when you have just seen it on a small number of occasions.

Small bleeds like that are usually the result of your dog straining and that might well happen if your dog has diarrhoea.

I always say to clients that if you blow your nose often enough you will get a nose bleed and this situation is much the same, it is just a rupture of a small blood vessel close to the anus which will resolve without treatment.

Provided your dog is otherwise bright and happy and it has just been one or two incidents of red blood in the faeces you have little to worry about, it will most likely resolve when you control the diarrhoea. If it happens on a more regular basis or suddenly gets worse or your dog deteriorates you should have you dog checked by your vet just to be on the safe side.

2. The Diarrhoea : Assuming your dog is otherwise bright and happy you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him today but make sure he has access to water.

B. Tomorrow feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Again if this does not work or if your dog deteriorates you should see your vet.

{ I have called your dog he as I do not know its sex which is not an important issue in diarrhoea control }

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS