Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has black spots on some of her front teeth. I brush

My dog has black spots on some of her front teeth. I brush her teeth regularly. Our vet says it is not cavities. What could this be??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
It could be enamel staining. It also could represent a devitalized tooth (infected or dead tooth). So, if there are any chips in the tooth or significant periodontal disease with increased mobility to the tooth, then it may need to be extracted.
Otherwise, if the tooth is otherwise healthy, monitoring the teeth for further changes is all that is necessary. If your pet is due for a dental cleaning due to tartar/plaque accumulation, then a dental cleaning with an ultrasonic scaler may be able to remove the deposits.
Hope that helps
Good Luck