Dr. Duncan
Dr. Duncan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from UF, Internship in Surgery and Internal Med; ER vet; 11 years of veterinary experience

My dog went into heat and stopped bleeding for about 5 days.

Customer Question

My dog went into heat and stopped bleeding for about 5 days. Now she is bleeding again very dark thick blood. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Duncan replied 7 years ago.
How old is your dog?
When was her last heat and how often does she cycle (if this isnt' her first cycle)
Is there any possibility of a recent mating?
How long was she bleeding initially and was the bleeding more normal in nature then?
How long has the heavy bleeding been going on for?
Is she eating and drinking and otherwise acting normal?

Dr. Duncan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 12 years old. Her last heat was normal and no, there is no possibility of recently mating. She bled for about 10 days stopped and then started again two days ago with this dark thick discharge with an egg yolk consistency. She is eating and drinking fine but just does not seem herself. She has become less active the older she gets but she almost seems like she is depressed.
Okay, I'm very worried that she has something called pyometra which is a serious emergency. This is a potentially life threatening uterine infection. She will need to be examined by a vet as soon as possible to determine if this is the case and may need surgery to have her uterus and ovaries removed (ie a spay). The infection can affect kidney function and lead to an infection in the blood stream or shock if left untreated.
I would call your vet right away and get her seen. If your vet can't see her she needs to be seen by an emergency doctor.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I'll be thinking about you both.
I will attach some information on pyometra below.

Dr. Duncan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That is what I was afraid of. Thank you so much and i will get her to a vet ASAP.

You're welcome. Hang in there you recognized it early so she will have a better shot at doing well.

Dr. Duncan