Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

What type of pain med or muscle rub can I give my dog, or what

What type of pain med or muscle rub can I give my dog, or what else can I do to comfort him. He's limping and favoring his leg. I think he sprained his leg muscle.(left front) I've checked his paw, pad and nails, all ok. I can squeeze his leg all the way up to the shoulder without any response, also flex his toes and joints without any effect.However, he does respond a little to the area around his knee. He is approx. 3 years old and 110 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomerbr />
If your dog needs pain relief I have to say that your vet will be able to prescribe a suitable prescription drug which will be safer and more suited for long term usage than any over the counter human pain relief medication.

However on a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I understand on the aspirin. What about a muscle rub. Would something like Ben Gay or Aspercreme help.
Hello again,

These sort of products are not really much use in the dog, of course the fact that the dogs are covered in fur does not help when it comes to apply them as well.

A normal approach would be rest plus anti-inflammatory drugs.