Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my dogs gums and teeth are rotting and there is a horrible

my dogs gums and teeth are rotting and there is a horrible smell she a chihuahua and were on vacation for 6 weeks when we came home i noticed a smell, but just checked her mouth this evening.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

This situation is by no manner of means unusual in small breed dogs such as Chihuahuas and Yorkshire Terriers. Larger dogs like German Shepherds are more wolf like and use their teeth in a more natural fashion but smaller breeds eat very soft food and do not use their teeth in a natural fashion so dental disease is a result and very bad breath would be a normal symptom.

There is no possibility here for home remedies I am afraid, what you have to do is to have your vet check your dog over and decide what is best, XXXXX XXXXX likely to be :

1. A general anaesthetic and a dental session to remove any loose or decayed teeth and a through descale of the remaining teeth to remove any brown plaque.

2. Then a course of a suitable antibiotic to help any gum infection { gingivitis }.

3. Finally advice on how to keep the dog' remaining teeth healthy from now on such as brushing with a doggy tooth paste, advice on a dental formulated diet and regular future dental checks.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS