Dr. Jan
Dr. Jan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of veterinary experience. Graduate of UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

can i use bacitracin, neosporin or visine in my dogs eye for

Customer Question

can i use bacitracin, neosporin or visine in my dogs eye for irritation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

I just received your question about treating your dog's eyes. I have a few questions to better understand what's going on:

1) What are you seeing with your dog's eyes? redness? blinking eyes?
2) How long has it been going on?
3) How old is your dog? What breed?
4) Has your dog been treated for eye problems in the past?

I will be online for the next hour.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes she has had eye problems in the past, she was given an ointment & drops. they said they believed it was ulcers in her eye, after the meds she was doing great now 6months later her eyes have some discharge coming from it and she closes her eyes alot. i was just wondering if there was something i can get over the counter in replace of the vet reason being the bill is normally astronomical and times are tough right now. she is 8 years old and a mix terrier. thanks for any advise given.
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

1) How long has she had the eye discharge? Is it yellow or green?
2) What medication do you have?
3)How long ago were they prescribed (or do they have an expiration date on them)?
4) How is your dog feeling? Apetite? Energy level normal?

Dr. Jan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont have any meds left. the discharge is a light yellow and has been for a day. other than that she is acting like her self same energy level and her appetite is normal.
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

If you dog only has the yellow discharge, you could try using over-the-counter eye drops such as Tears Naturale. This helps keep the eyes lubricated and removes any dust or dirt that could cause irritation. You will not be able to get eye ointment with antibiotics without a prescription. Depending on your vet's policy, you might be able a renewal of the previous eye medication without an exam but most vet clinics will recommend that the dog's eyes be checked first.

If your dog keeps her eyes closed or is blinking a lot, this is a sign of pain and should be checked out right away. Painful eyes can be due to a corneal ulcer and since your dog had this in the past, I would be concerned that it might occur again. Here's some further information about ulcers:

Also check the white portion of her eyeballs. If it looks red, this could be a symptom of glaucoma -- and again, needs a vet exam to diagnose and treat. Here is some specific information about glaucoma in dogs:

Here's a general review of some other things to watch out for:

Use a clean, warmed washcloth to remove the discharge from your dog's eyes as often as necessary.

I hope this has been helpful. If you have further questions, please let me know.

Dr. Jan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. i appreciate your time, it has been very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. Good luck with your dog's eyes.

Dr. Jan