Dr. Tami
Dr. Tami, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  4+ years private practice

my dog seems to have a crook in his neck head slighty tilted

my dog seems to have a crook in his neck head slighty tilted to the left, does not bark, limited activity, seems like a storke victim.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Tami replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I would be happy to help you as best that I can, but I need to get some more information from you.

1. What is the breed, sex and age of your dog?

2. How long has your dog been having a head tilt?

3. When was the last time he ate?

4. Any vomiting, diarrhea, coughing or sneezing?

5. Is he able to walk?

6. Any possible exposure to toxins?

7. Is he on any medication or supplements?

8. Any other health problems?

I will be awaiting your apply to help you. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure whether you recieved the answers to the questions you asked.
Expert:  Dr. Tami replied 7 years ago.

I did not receive your answers. Can you answer them again?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got my dog when she was about 8 weeks old, about 10 years ago. Her appetite has improved in the last two days. Her neck has been stiff for about 4 days. She is a mixed breed, Roc and something else. I'm not sure whether she got into any toxins, she is an outside dog. She is not on any meds and no known health problems. She can walk and I have not noticed any vomiting or anything else, unless it was while i was aat work or away. Her left side seems to be weak.
Expert:  Dr. Tami replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. I just want to go over what I am hearing... she is a 10 year old lab mix, that has had a stiff neck for about 4 days and appears to be weak on the left side. Is she able to walk and stand? If you flip her paws under while standing is she able to place them back to normal or just leaves them flipped under? Are her eyes moving in any odd direction? How long has she had a decreased appetite? Has she lost any weight recently? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

She can walk and stand,she is also able to flip her paws back to normal after you flip them under. Her eyes does seem to be moving in an odd diection. She seems to not want to put weight on her left side.

Expert:  Dr. Tami replied 7 years ago.

Without a physical exam it is hard to know what could be going on, but it sounds like there could be a few things going on:

1. Vestibular disease: We see this in older dogs and do not know what causes it. They usually have a head tilt and are disorientated for a few days, then slowly recover. Here is more info:

2. Brain problem: Some dogs can have strokes, infections or tumors of the brain that can cause neurologic problems, weakness of the limbs. Here is some more info:

I would highly recommend that you take your dog to your vet to get her examined. That is going to give you the most information. I hope that my answer helps you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.