Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

What are the signs of a broken neck in a dog (yorkie) He was

What are the signs of a broken neck in a dog (yorkie)? He was grabbed around the neck by a huskie, there was no shaking. We could not find any teeth marks or blood onces he was released. He was nipping at people trying to check him out. He yelped when he was put down. At home he seemed to not move his two front paws.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your young Yorkie who has been grabbed by a Huskie! The poor little boy - he must have been terrified. It really doesn't sound like this boy has a broken neck however, which is very much a relief. Usually a broken neck results in complete paralysis from that point down the spinal column meaning he would be moving his legs at all. This happens because a broken neck usually means severe damage to the spinal cord - hence the severity of spinal injuries in the neck region. It is still possible there damage to the bones of the neck, but if he is moving his legs around and walking he is lucky in that there is probably no damage to his spinal cord.

To know for sure if there is any boney injury to the vertebrae in his neck your vet would need to take a series of xrays to assess the bones in this region. If your Yorkie boy hasn't yet been to the Vet, definitely get him there sooner rather than later. He is bound to have a large degree or soft tissue swelling and pain and really needs to be attended to as well as to get some pain relief for the next few days. Definitely get him to the Vet sooner rather than later.

If I have misread the question and he isn't walking at all and can't get up, then it is more likely he has a spinal cord injury and in this case he really needs to be taken to an ER Vet now for assessment and further assistance.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc