Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has torn her dewclaw nail. It is barily hanging on.

My dog has torn her dewclaw nail. It is barily hanging on. It was bleeding slighly so I put peroxide on it and taped it. It seems to be a very long nail. I am kind of short on money right now, do I need to take her to the vet to have it removed, or if I keep it taped will it grow back? It is no longer bleeding, but I don't want her to be in pain or get an infection. She is not crying, but every once in a while she will pick that paw up and not walk on it.
Thanks for the question Claudia Krissy.

It may be possible to resolve this problem without going to the vet, but of course going to vet is always your best option and you will have to visit your vet if you suspect infection. However you could try the following :

1. A torn nail which is hanging there is often a source of discomfort for your dog. You may be able to remove the nail by firmly graping it and giving it a sharp tug, often they come away very easily, alternatively you can remove it with scissors. both of these techniques may cause a little pain but if you are quick it will only be a twinge.

2. It is likely that some quick may be exposed so in this case apply the likes of Neosporin twice a day for a few days.

3. If the dog is licking at the quick after the nail is removed you would be best to bandage the foot for a day or so.

4. Torn nails will normally grow back but it would be an idea to trim the other nails including the other dew claw as they are less likely to get torn.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I really appreciate this service and I am very thankful for this advice. I will be sure to share this site with my friends.

Thank you Dr. Nimmo for being available. I am concerned but my children were very worried, and it is evening here so we can not go to a vet. However, I now feel comfortable that I might try to pull the nail off. It is truly hanging on by a thread. Thanks again! Good night.

Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept.

It was a pleasure to advise you ...