Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog has an abscess that just broke. I cannot afford to take

My dog has an abscess that just broke. I cannot afford to take her to vet at this time, as my husband got laid off his job in October. Can I get the fish tetracycline sold at most Petsmart to give to her?
An abscess that is ruptured generally doesn't really require oral antibiotics in order to heal. Abscesses are generally "walled off" from the rest of the body, and antibiotics given orally won't penetrate into the abscess well.

The more important thing to do is to flush the abscess pocket with an antibacterial solution. You can get Betadine solution or Chlorhexidine solution from the drug store, and dilute it to a very weak color, and use that to flush out the abscess pocket. If you flush it a few times daily, and keep things clean, it should heal on its own in 10-14 days.

Keep in mind, that if the abscess was caused by some underlying issue such as a cyst, tumor, or other issue, than it will probably come back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi, Dr. Drew:</p><p>Puff is an outside Malmute mix with lots of hair. The abscess is close on her snout. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, I just can't see if there is another issue. That is why I thought if there was, I'd treat with the tetracycline. The abscess looks to be healing well, otherwise. </p><p>I appreciate your time.</p>