Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog ate a large piece of ham

My dog ate a large piece of ham. What signs of distress should I watch for?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 years ago.

Ham is high in fat, and can cause vomiting, and diarrhea. In susceptible breeds, like Miniature Schnauzers, or in overweight dogs, it can bring on a case of pancreatitis, where the pancreas is overwhelmed by too much fat to digest, and becomes inflammed. Some of these dogs are very painful, and very sick, and need to be on IV fluids until the inflammation subsides, and they are able to eat and drink again.

On the other hand, many dogs will eat something like this, and suffer no ill effects at all. I would not let your dog eat for the next 12 to 24 hours, but let him drink water, as much as he wants. If he starts to vomit, you should consider having him examined by your veterinarian. I would watch him for now, and hope he is one of the tough dogs that can eat things like this, and not miss a beat.

Hope this helps.