Dr. Nazar
Dr. Nazar, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 4 years experience at specialty hospitals.

I recently found a hard lump on my dogs hind leg. It is in

I recently found a hard lump on my dog's hind leg. It is in the "inner elbow" and is very hard and about the size of a grape. It moves around the area, but almost feels like it is attached to a ligament/tendon?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Nazar replied 7 years ago.
If your dog is not obese than lump on the leg in size of grape should be checked right away. There is a chance that it could be aggressive tumor, so you want to know about it ASAP. if your dog is obese than there is higher chance that mass could be lipoma (benign fatty tumor). but I still would check with your vet especially if it is attached to a ligament.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not satisfied. What does the "hardness" implicate? Is a lump that moves around less serious than one that is stationary? Is the location extra suspicious?

What should we expect the Vet to do once we go to the appointment. Are X-rays recommeneded? Is a lump usually asperated?

Expert:  Dr. Nazar replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Hardness implicate nothing, it is not diagnostic or prognostic. The only one good test for diagnosis is biopsy. Most common biopsy is FNA- it is aspiration with small needle, usually diagnostic in about 70%, another type would be true cut biopsy when veterinarian use bigger needle to get small tissue sample, and finally wedge or biopsy when large amount of tissue is submitted to a pathology lab. Your vet will recommend you chest X rays, and regional lymph node aspiration. In some cases CT or MRI are performed. But everything starts with a visit to your vet and physical exam.