DrLucy
DrLucy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Almost 30 yr as a practicing small animal vet.; experience in gen.medicine, surgery, emerg/crit.care
11482073

MY DOGS EYES ARE MATTED TOGETHER, THE INSIDE OFF THE LIDS

MY DOGS EYES ARE MATTED TOGETHER, THE INSIDE OFF THE LIDS LOOK LIKE HAMBURGER MEAT. WHAT COULD THIS BE?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.
It is possible that your dog has inadequate tear production ("dry eye"), leading to infection and inflammation, known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS). This would be the most common cause of what you describe. There are some other possibilities, too, like an irritant that induced a secondary infection, and other things. The first thing I would try to do is to soak the eyelids with some warm water compresses, to see if you can get a good look. If the discharge that remains looks thick and sticky, and the surface of the cornea looks dry, then it is probably KCS. There are several helpful treatments, but the infection has to be addressed. It is not just a simple matter of using artificial tears. I'll see if I can post some pictures for you, to see if it looks like what your dog has. I'll be back shortly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

MY CAT ALSO HAS ONE EYE THAT LOOKS THE SAME, SO I DONOT FEEL IT IS DRY EYES

Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.
There are very few things except environmental irritants that would affect both the cat and the dog. Ideally, you would have your vet check both of them, to assess the situation and dispense appropriate ointments or drops. However, in the mean time, I would soak the crusts off as best you can, and flush out the eyes (dog's and cat's) with saline (like the type for contact lens wearers) or eye irrigation solution. This should remove debris or chemical irritants. If either animal has hair around the eyes, trimming it back so it can't get stuck in the eyes (until they heal) will help. If the cornea(s) look cloudy, then a trip to your vet is really essential, because it could mean that something more serious is going on. In case you decide to use some eye medicine that you might have at home, I would check the ingredients to make sure it does NOT have cortisone, hydrocortisone, prednisone/prednisolone, or dexamethasone in it. All of these are steroids, which can retard corneal healing, in case there is some damage to the cornea. If your vet sees them and is sure that there is no corneal abrasion, then he/she may dispense a steroid-containing medication, but it is not safe to use it without being sure.

Does this answer your question? If not, let me know. It would be great if you could post a close-up picture.