Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.

My 9 yr old female pomeranian has severe hair loss. It has

My 9 yr old female pomeranian has severe hair loss. It has been gradual over the past 5 yrs. She now only has fur on her head and legs and a very thin layer of top coat on her back. I have taken her to several Vets and have tried numerous treatments. Such as treatment for allergies, thyroid condition and skin infections. I am now treating her once again for thyroid disease. At one point I was told that she might have a hormone difficiency and there is nothing that can be done. Other than her fur loss she is completely healthy accept for in the past week she has developed an eye gland infection and a slight ear infection. I was also she might have black skin disease and that she will never be cured. Please help me and my precious little Pom. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question. I'm not sure if I will be able to add more than the vets who have already seen her, but I can try!

First, I have some quesitons for you:

• How long has she been on thyroid medication? Has she had her blood level retested to make sure she is on the right dose?
  • Is she itchy at all?

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has only been taking the new medication since Saturday. He thyroid levels were tested this based week and two were borderline normal the other was very low. I think she maybe itchy, she does roll around on her back alot but she does not scratch or bite herself. She does not have any sores or hot spots. Her skin looks good aside from the grayish black spotted color. Her new vet thinks because of her skin being in good condition that she has a fur loss problem rather than a skin condition like Black Skin Disease.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

OK, thanks for the additional info.

If she does have a low thyroid then it may take several months of thyroid medication before we start to see some hair regrowth. So, hopefully we start to see some improvement in a couple of months. It is important to follow up on bloodwork when your vet suggests to make sure that she is getting the right amount of thyroid hormone.

Another thing that can cause skin issues like this is Cushing's disease. However, these dogs usually have the symptoms of increased thirst, urination and appetite.

The "black skin disease" that your vet is describing is also called "alopecia x". It can happen in poms. You may know a lot about it already, but here is some excellent information that may help you:

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I am truly hoping that the thyroid medication cures her. If it does and her fur grows back. Is there other damage that could have been done to her organs in the past 5 yrs it took to get to this point? She is my little buddy and I would feel awful if I could have done something sooner.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

Usually, if we have thyroid disease, once we get the thyroid hormone stabilized everything is just fine. There really shouldn't be any organ damage or anything else significant like that!

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, thank you so much for your help. It is truly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.

You're very welcome!

Dr. Marie.