Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years practice experience with special interest in behavior, shelter medicine

My dog has pain right after eating a real small meal about

My dog has pain right after eating a real small meal about 2 tablespoons (pain comes in less than 5 minutes - then goes away after about 30 to 45 minutes). She has elevated Liver enzymes, and I give her a 1/4 Rimadyl every 12 hours. I was giving her 1/2 Rimadyl every 12 hours but 1/4 seems to work to. She has the pain even when I do not feed her, especially after the Rimadyl wears off. I feed her Science Diet L/D prescription food. What do you think is wrong with her??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

May I ask some questions?

First of all, you want to be careful giving Rimadyl when the liver enzymes are elevated, so have you tried any other pain medications?

Is the pain mostly around eating?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How does she exhibit that he is painful? What signs do you see?

How old is she?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She was on Predisone but was eased off of it (did not work). I know how dangerous Rimadyl is - that is why I cut it down to 1/4, some days she will last almost a whole day without Rimadyl (I prefer not to give it to her). The pain would even come back after at least 12 hours even if she does not eat. It is not her Pancreas because those levels were fine. I do know though for sure she is in pain within 5 minutes of eating but will go away after about 45 minutes. There is no vomiting or diarrhea. I know she is in Pain because she holds her head down and she lays down for awhile. She is a big Dachshund but has no back or neck problems. She also is about 13 years old.
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

have you tried giving pepcid before meals? Sometimes acid can be very uncomfortable and pepcid is a very safe medication. You would give it about 30 minutes before feeding. How much does she weigh and I can tell you what her dose would be?

Also, there is a medication called carafate that is a coating agent used in dogs with suspected gastric ulcers. You may want to ask your vet about trying this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The dog weighs 22 pounds (big dachshund). So how much Pepcid should I give her and you are talking about (Pepcid AC) aren't you? But why would there be pain after 12 hours without eating?
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

Rimadyl only lasts about 12 hours, so I would expect any pain relieving properties of it to wear off after that amount of time.

The pepcid (yes pepcid AC) won't hurt anything. I would try it. Give 5mg (1/2 of a 10mg tablet) every 12 hours about 30 minutes before feeding...

And with the history of taking rimadyl and prednisone, I would ask about the carafate because gastric ulcers are a common side effect of both of those medications and the carafate would act to coat the stomach to allow it to heal. Ulcers can be very painful and can wax and wane in symptoms. Plus, the carafate is very safe too... but if you start giving that and pepcid, you need to space them out by about a hour when you give them or they will neutralize each other and neither one will work...

Does that help?

Let me know if you have any additional questions.