Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.
6877700

I just found a quarter size red ring on my dogs stomach -

I just found a quarter size red ring on my dog's stomach - is it possible she has ringworm? I can't find any other lesions on her and she isn't losing more than usual amounts of hair anywhere... help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question!

How long has the ring been there?

Is there any crusting or flakiness?

Is it itchy?

Does your dog have any other health problems that you know of?

Thanks!

Dr. Marie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi - We just discovered it a moment ago, I don't think it has been there long. There is no crustiness or flakes to it - it almost looks like a minor burn (but I can't think of anything that would cause that). She does keep licking it... She has no other health problems.

Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.

OK, thanks for the additional info!

There are a number of things that can cause a lesion like that.

The most common reason for a lesion like that would be an insect sting. This is a little less likely in the winter, but sometimes a spider bite could do this. If this is the case it really should improve over the next few days.

It could be a bruise. If your dog plays with other dogs it is possible that someone nipped her.

It is possible that it is a localized area of skin infection. However, we usually see crusting and flakiness with this.

While ringworm is possible, it is unlikely. Ringworm is a fungal infection and usually causes flakiness and dandruff. It doesn't usually cause a red ring in dogs. Also, it is very uncommon in dogs.

It certainly won't hurt to put some neosporin/polysporin on it a few times per day to see if that will discourage the licking. But, if it hasn't gone away in 3-4 days or if it seems like it is getting worse, then a vet visit is probably a good idea.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.