Dr. Welton
Dr. Welton, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002, practice owner since 2004.

How long would a pug live with liver disease He is urinating

Customer Question

How long would a pug live with liver disease? He is urinating blood and lathargic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 7 years ago.
How long a patient can live with liver disease depends on the nature of the disease, cancer, inflammatory hepatitis, cirrhosis, etc, as well as the degree of liver damage at this point. A test that best determines liver function and hence prognosis, is a fairly simple test known as a bile acids profile.

As far as management of liver disease, whether any of the above, there are essential elements that should be part of the treatment protocol that will give your pug his best chance at longevity. The first element is daily oral administration of a gall bladder contracting drug called ursodiol - the contractile action of the gall bladder keeps the liver/biliary system dynamic, decreasing likelihood of back up, as well as reducing inflammation.

Another essential component of is daily administration of SAM-E, a nutritionalsupplement that nourishes, protects, and even can help regenerate liver cells.

Next, there are varying opinions on this, but I am a big proponent of daily corticosteroid administration. Corticosteroids have powerful anti-inflammatory activity and serve to reduce inflammation at the level of the liver no matter what the process, stimulate appetite, and in the case of cancer, can slow the progression.

Finally, and probably the most important aspect of liver disease management, is feeding a prescription liver sparing diet. This serves to reduce metabolic toxin accumulation, thereby making the patient feel better whil decreasing the work load of the liver. Hills makes an excellent liver sparing diet known as L/D, which your vet should have available for sale.

As far as the blood in the urine, this may be a separate problem from the liver, such as urinary tract infection or other lower urinary tract disease. A simple urinalysis would shed some light on that, and resolution could be as easy as a course of antibiotics.

Regarding the liver, I cannot tell you hjow long your dog will live, but I can tell you that a bile acids profile will shed some light on this. I can also tell you that implementing some or all of the measures I discussed will give any canine liver disease patient his best chance at long term survival.

Feel free to discuss my recommendations with your vet.