Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Dog Veterinary

Dog has fluid sac on front leg joint

Four month old Dog has... Show More
Four month old Dog has a golf ball size fluid sac in skin on front leg just behind the knee joint. Is this like an inflamed lymph gland or an injury? There is no pain anywhere near the "sac".
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this problem.
If you can answer a few questions, I may be more helpful.
1. How long has the sac been there?
2. Is it by the paw, elbow, shoulder?
3. Has any fluid come out of it? If so, color of the fluid?
4. Has a veterinarian seen it yet?
5. Any problems with limping on the leg?
6. Age and breed of your pet?
Thank you
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Four month Husky-Boarder Collie has a golf ball size fluid sac under skin on front right elbow. There is no pain. This has developed over night. 'Haven't been to Vet. today.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 7 years ago.
Okay,
Based on your description and the pet's age, this may be a seroma. This is a fluid-filled sac that can be caused by trauma. Likely inflammaotory in nature. However, it could also represent an infection, and therefore, may be an abscess.
The veterinarian can probably, and rather easily, perform a needle aspirate test to remove some of the fluid and determine what the problem is and what medication is needed to treat the condition.
A seroma could form from trauma to the elbow, or even an insect bite or sting could induce the reaction.
Hope that helps
A seroma with proper treatment can be resolved. Again, a seroma is a guess, but your vet will tell you definitively.
Good Luck
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.