Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

WHy is my dog eating the straw out of her house

WHy is my dog eating the straw out of her house?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you answer a couple questions to help me out? Some of your information has popped up yet so I apologize if I'm asking a question you've already given the info too.
1) How old is your dog?
2) Does she chew/eat anything else?
3) Any other health issues (vomiting, weight loss, etc.)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is about 5 months. She chews on her toys. Her food is homemade by a local. No other health issues
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
The fact that you have a young dog chewing and eating some straw isn't to surprising. Young dogs will a lot of times chew on plant material as they are "teething" because it feels good. The other reason they do it may be due to a lot of unexpended energy. If dogs are allowed to play, run, go for walks, etc., they will burn off a lot of energy in a productive manner. If this energy isn't spent in those manners, it gets used for other behavior such as chewing on things.

Your little one again isn't doing anything to unexpected by chewing on and eating the straw. Some feel that a little roughage needs to be ingested by dogs to help keep the gastrointestinal system happy. This isn't necessarily a display of her not getting enough nutrition from her dog food either.

There is a good chance that your little one will grow out of this. In saying that, there is chance she won't. If she doesn't eat a ton of straw, it shouldn't hurt her at all.