Dr. Christy
Dr. Christy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years clinical experience with a passion in small mammals and internal medicine.

shinny, hard, red bump on my dogs upper back leg. its blood

Customer Question

shinny, hard, red bump on my dog's upper back leg. its blood red and when squeezed its really really hard. when wiped red "blood" came off of it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christy replied 7 years ago.
I would love to help you with this problem. I just need a bit more information. How old is your dog? What kind of dog? When did you first notice this? How large is the bump?

Thanks for giving me the chance to help

Dr. Christy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay ummm he's a pitt bull about 5 years old we noticed it about a week or so ago and the bump is about the size of a jelly been
Thanks for the information. There are multiple types of skin masses that can occur on the skin of a dog. Some masses called histiocytomas mainly occur on the face and legs of young dogs. These masses are usually small, raised red and hairless. They have an ulcerated surface and can have some mild red weeping. Occasionally they bother the dog and you may see him lick at the bump. The good news is that they are self resolving and should go away in less then 12 weeks.
Please be aware that there are many different types of masses and some can certainly be aggressive. The only way to know for certain what we are dealing with is to visit your veterinarian.
There is also the possibility of the bump being something else such as a draining tract from an object lodged under the skin. I hope this helps and am happy to answer further questions if needed. Good Luck!
Dr. Christy