Dog Health Questions? Ask a Dog Vet for Answers ASAP
Our dog ate a lot of bacon grease. We took her to the emergency and came home with a bunch of pills. The vet gave us amoxicillin and a saline bag so that we can rehydrate her at home. She won't swallow the amoxicillin so can we crush the pill and mix it with some saline and then give her a shot in the scruff of her neck? If this is okay, can we also do that with the Tramadol? Thank you.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about the ingestion of the bacon grease. No, you cannot mix it into the sub-cutaneous fluids. It could also cause a local reaction under the skin. Instead, I would hold off the amoxicillin maybe for another 12 hours and give her stomach a chance to settle. I am assuming the Tramadol was prescribed because she is painful. If that is the case, then I am concerned she may have pancreatitis. I will disclose now, that if she has pancreatitis, the at home care may not be sufficient, and she may need to be hospitalized. To help settle the stomach you could give Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid). You can give 10-20mg per 40 pounds of body weight (Or, 0.25-0.5mg per pound). Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspxYou can also try prilosec, http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/omeprazole-prilosec/page1.aspxI am assuming the vet told you to hold off giving food for 12-24 hours if she has been vomiting. If not, you can offer low-fat cottage cheese with a little boiled white rice to stimulate the appetite.I would also continue to give the Pepcid every 12 hours, as that is the only medication she will have to help her stomach. The treatment plan is a little awkward for treating a gastritis or pancreatitis. I am assuming this was a treatment plan formulated versus keeping her in the hospital. Try the above recommendations, and see if she can get better. No amoxi or tramadol under the skin. Only oral. Good Luck Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
The Vet thinks she has pancreatitis and suggested she be hospitalized. But for budget reasons we need to take care of her at home. If things go well with her at home, about how long do you think it will take before we'll know if she's going to get better or if we should take her back in? By the way, her rib cage on her right side is noticeably elevated and hard.
Today we have given her Tramadol, Amoxicillan, and pepcid, Cerenia and 500 ml of Sub-Q fluids in the scruff of her neck. She is not eating, but has drank a lot of water. She is more alert, but is still very sluggish and has been in her bed most of the day.
What are the signs that would tell us that she is in too much pain or is not going to recover?
Thank you in advance for your help.